Friday, February 5, 2010

Do you think the Habs will win the Super Bowl?

Okay, that was one of my little blonde jokes. I know the Montreal Canadiens are a hockey team and the Super Bowl is American football. After that, it's all a little dodgy.

So why am I shelling hard boiled eggs at midnight? It's probably because this weekend is my first hostess duties for Michael's Super Bowl party and deviled eggs are on the menu. The guest list consists of "a few guys from the office and a couple of guys from the hockey team. Probably no wives. Maybe a girlfriend or two."

Thanks for narrowing it down, honey. It's not like an actual number would help the planning or anything. I've served as his hostess at restaurants when he's entertained business clients but this is the first time it's been in our home. Well, not exactly true. My parents stayed over this summer and my father was here at Christmas. I'm really excited about Sunday. I want to it to be perfect. I want his friends to be comfortable in our home.

"Relax", he says. "You'll do fine. It's not hard. Beer. Food. The football's supplied by the NFL. No one can screw up a Super Bowl party unless they run out of beer before half-time."

I contemplate this and try to calculate how much beer is enough beer. It's easier to cheat on this one. "I don't know what you guys like to drink. Why don't you pick up the beer and leave the food to me?" He agrees, so that hurdle is crossed.

"What would you like for food?"

"Nothing weird."

A little further prodding on my part reveals that weird is actually spelled v-e-g-e-t-a-r-i-a-n. Who knew?

"And that stuff with peanuts and pretzels and Shreddies in it". – Translation: Chex Party Mix.

So, the Not Weird ™ menu has been carefully crafted.

Beer

Party Mix

Beer

Deviled Eggs, Chicken Wings

Beer

Ribs, Chili and Lasagna

Rolls

Beer

Mixed Greens Salad (because I have to eat too).

And Beer.


Wish me luck.

~~doll~~

5 comments:

  1. It has been a while since I have been to a Super Bowl party but I well remember ordering those humungously long rolls filled with just about everything from our little market's deli. Yum! Yum!

    But, the menu sounds perfect to, sorta, soak up the beer.

    It will be fun! I think! (giggles)

    ReplyDelete
  2. other than the very weird inclusion of a salad sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sir J -- think of it as ~~doll~~ food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go the Habs!!!

    That's the right thing to say....right!? lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. And she made about a dozen other things. Fantastic spread.

    ReplyDelete